Saturday, 18 April 2009

Shipshewana

Yesterday we left Michigan, driving through Ohio and into
Indiana. We took the small roads; the interstate, although
useful for getting somewhere in a hurry, was beginning to give
me a headache. It ended up being one of my favourite drives.

The kind where you realise that, actually, the journey really
can be as good, if not better, than the destination.

We drove through Mennonite and Amish communities, old
fashioned looking towns where we had to slow down for
horse and carriages. We stopped a couple of times, wandering
around in the sunshine. The towns were like nothing I'd seen
before.

Stopping in Shipshewana and LaGrange, small agricultural
towns, we got excited everytime a horse and cart clattered
past, catching a glimpse of an Amish family in their traditional
clothing. Schoolgirls with headscarfs peddled past us on bicycles
and we saw Amish families playing volleyball in their gardens!

I dunno, it was just kinda cool. Interesting, something different.

I hear they like bowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment