Thursday, 30 April 2009

Petrified Forest

We spent the entirety of yesterday visiting the Painted
Desert and the Petrified Forest.

We had alocated a couple of hours there, but we soon
realised we'd need the whole day; the national park is
huge and there's lots to see!

We had a beautiful sunny day and took way too many photos!
The Painted Desert was full of colourful mountains; my
favourites were the Teepee's, which were all pink and blue layers.

I lack the skills to descibe a desert, so I will just add some
pictures instead.







































The Petrified Forest isn't really a forest. It's more desert,
only with Petrified trees scattered around. Petrified trees
are basically stone trees. I'd like to think that nobody knows
why they turned to stone, but apparently there's a reasonable
explanation for it, which I forget.

So let's pretend it's a mystery. Trees turned to stone!! Spooky.

I thought it might be an actual stone forest, but it's just the
trunks laid on the floor. They are all sparkly and shiney.













Millions and millions of the petrified trees have been stolen
over the centuries, which sucks, but the park is now preserving
what is left.

Although you can buy your own bit of tree-stone in the
gift shop for $20...

No comments:

Post a Comment